Wednesday, September 3, 2014

My Experience with Nikon 50mm f/1.8G


Shot a wedding with it before, totally love it because the focal length is close to human eyes field of view (43 degree +-). The relatively fast aperture at f/1.8, 1 stop plus from 2.8 makes it even faster for freezing action with lower ISO. It's performance at f/1.8 wide open is very descend in term of sharpness and vignette just a little in compare with the Nikon 50mm 1.4G lens which is more than double the price. I did find this lens focus more accurately compared to its older brother, the Nikon 50mm 1.8D, and less prone to flare. The bokeh is just fantastic and stay round even up to f/4, and its not very far behind the 1.4G. I will do a more details comparison between this lens and the Nikon 50mm 1.8D in the future. Here is few shots I took with the 50mm 1.8G which now pretty much mounted permanently on my D600. ;-) Enjoy.

ISO  1400 | 1/100 s | f/3.2 
ISO 100 | 1/25s | f/2
I only can show you these much for the wedding I did last week done with 50mm 1.8G.
Below are the shot I took around Jalan Alor wide open.

The focusing is quick enough for me.

The color rendition of this lens is better than its older brother in my opinion.

Subject isolation is possible with this lens.

This shot I mistakenly focus on the barrel but the subject still remain acceptably sharp due to its moderate depth of field.

This lens is very comfortable to be use on full-frame for street photography.

The bokeh is pleasingly good.

This is the scene compression you expect to get from this lens.

It handle flare very well.



I have done similar shooting with the Sigma 30mm 1.4 with D90 earlier at the same place before. The experience I get from this 50mm is very similar with the Sigma which I have sold to exchange with this lens. If you are on the crop, the 50mm gives you a short-tele field of view about 75mm in my opinion is more for portrait shoot. I prefer the Sigma 30mm 1.4 for general use in crop sensor DSLR. 

Update: Additional Images with 50mm.






Related Articles

0 comments:

Post a Comment